Monday, April 16, 2007
1st day of knee bending
Let me tell you, bending my knee was not exactly painful, at first, but hard to do- my muscle would stretch, then stop, strech and stop. So it turns out the muscle in my leg has EXTREMELY weakened! The physical therapist first measured how far I could bend my knee, then had me sit with a heating pad and ultra-sound (to break up internal scar tisusue) before starting different exercises, first being to clentch my muscle and press my knee back down further into the bench my leg was laying on. That was no sweat, I have been doing that since surgury. The second thing he had me do was while laying with both legs infront of me I had to lift my leg up at my hip. That was hard, but didn't hurt, it just felt odd. I had someone hold my foot and help me lift it and bring it down at first, but as I did the next 10 reps, I started to do it on my own, after the first initial lift at my heel. It was so impressive, that I had to do it 10 more times! After resting for a few minutes, a round cushion was put under my knee, that required me to bend it. Not comfortable, but again, not quite painful. I was instructed to lift my foot to straighten my leg. Now this was the hardest for me to do. I wasn't near as successful at that. Next I had to lay down, with my leg put up high on the wall. With my left foot under my right to guide it, I slowly slid my foot down the wall and bent my knee. I liked that exercise because I could go at my own pace while still working my knee. He then measured how far I could now bend it, and I went from a 39 degree angle to a 50. He said that was good. When that was done, my knee was iced down and eletric pulses were to stimulate my muscles. I did NOT enjoy that whole ordeal one bit! I was instructecd to wear my brace at school, but not at home, and was told what excerices to do at home and that I needed to come in three times a week. What a day. I am not in pain, though my knee feels odd.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What an exciting day for you!
When I have had an arm or leg in a cast or sling for a while, it took some time before I got the full range of motion back. However it will come. Keep at it!
Love, Dad
I went through the same things with my legs after my back surgery. Heck, I still have those problems. Constant cramps and pains in my calves from stretching and bending my legs. Not fun.
Post a Comment