Thursday, July 31, 2008

My mom, Harry Potter and a full garage...

The following are excerpts from my dear mother's blog...

I am one of those hold-outs who has never read the series. Well, not completly
true, as I did start the first book one summer on the plane but fell asleep
somewhere in the second chapter. Shocking, I know. And now I already know
who dies and all of that and I just haven't really cared. She does, though.
And so the Challenge is this. . . if I read all 7 of the books she will clean
out the garage.

After reading this, I of course had to talk the little arrangement through with her. From that conversation, she posted the following comment:
The question was posed, "Mom, what if you read the books and then nothing
happens in the garage?" (Not wanting to offend, this sweet oldest niece asked as
gently and annonymously as possible.) "Why it's simple. She will owe me. And
that puts all the challenging into perspective. I nodded, she nodded. We clearly
understand what might lie ahead.


Well, I am just not sure if/when this will happen...I want to say that I have faith in you both, but....I just don't know-for the following reasons
a. this IS my mom we are talking about...she doesn't do well with "magical" anything.
b. Suz- that garage is a MASSIVE undertaking, and after working so hard on the Library I can't see you up for the challenge any time soon.
c. I don't know if my mom will get all that there is out of the HP series, due to the sheer fact that she isn't reading them for her own enjoyment and satisfaction. She is only reading them to get her sister to clean (which is one of my mom's favorite things)! And these motives, as noble as they are, aren't the reasons why one should read....actually I take it back. Ironically it is all because of my mother that I started reading HP.
You see, I was one of those who didn't' read them BECAUSE of the hype. I had no desire to read anything about wizards and dragons and wands and magic. Also, demanding college classes and ridiculous reading assignments soured me towards reading "for fun."
So, one summer while on the island for the summer, babysitting for a family whose children napped almost the whole time I was there my mother suggested I bring along HP #1 to cure my boredom...I told her no. This wasn't the first time she recommended me to read it, and if memory serves me right, we had a little tiff over it. She said she'd give me $20 and so I caved. There were also stars on the top of every page. I liked that...botta bing botta boom... I read all 4 (that was all that was out at the time) books by the end of the month. I fell in love with Harry.
But I digress....
Time will tell what happens. As far as I'm concerned, listening to books on tape is not the same. If you are going to uphold your end of the deal mom, you need to read them.

I wish you both luck...it seems like at some point or another, you'll both need it!

6 comments:

tipi tai said...

what? mom gave you $20 to read hp? i don't believe it.

Suzie said...

And the funny thing here is... I'm the one who came up with the Challenge! I told her that if she read the books, I'd clean my garage. Now please understand that at the time I said that (my brain was shrieking, 'SUZIE, YOU FOOL!') I seriously, I thought she'd never do it and I'd be safe! But it'll be worth it to me to have her read them. And even if she's not starting the challenge because she Wants to read them, we all know what'll happen when she does. She'll be hooked by book three. And when she's starts on book 7, I start on my garage. (it's 90 percent trash anyway.. shouldn't be Too hard. I hope.)

Lisa Lou said...

of course it was the stars that did it for you...

Dave said...

I think that neither Suzie or Diane are at risk in this challenge

Diane said...

Hey, I resemble that!

Diane said...

Go back to my Challenge post to put in your vote.